Saturday, September 15, 2012

DIY Shampoo: with castile soap and baking soda

It's been a while since I've posted and I thought I'd do a quick DIY for those of you who are interested in going a bit more natural with your products! I've joined the ranks of those who are going "No 'Poo" or "Sorta 'Poo" (for example, here and here and here), and haven't used commercial shampoo in almost a year. Do read those blogs for great info on why, how and what to expect when ditching shampoo!


I've tried a lot of variations, and this is the recipe I am currently using. It takes a little getting used to, and your hair may feel "crunchy" or dry when you get out of the shower. Depending on your hair's natural state, you can use a little coconut oil on the ends, a leave-in natural brand conditioner, or do a rinse in the shower of 1 T. apple cider vinegar to 1 c. water (best done in a spray bottle). Also, I rarely measure when I make it for myself, so definitely use these proportions as a jumping off point.

This recipe is quite thin or runny. Though I haven't tested it yet, I added 1 tsp. xantham gum (inspired by the recipe found here) to my next batch and will update after I next shampoo!

DIY Shampoo

1/3 c castile soap, such as Dr. Bronner's)
1/3-2/3 c water (depending on how soapy you want it, I tend toward the lower end)
2 t. baking soda
1tsp. coconut oil, melted
5-15 drops essential oil, if desired


In an old shampoo bottle combine baking soda and castile soap, shaking to combine.


 Then add the rest of the ingredients and shake.


Voila, you have homemade shampoo!


finished product in use!




14 comments:

  1. Love the recipe, question? could you use Tea Tree Essential Oil? Hubby doesnt want to smell like Lavender..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I think Tea Tree would be amazing and give you a really tingly feel, plus it is anti-fungal and would be excellent for your scalp.

      Delete
  2. What happens if you use organic coconut oil in place of virgin coconut oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as the recipe goes, organic or non-organic won't make a difference :) I prefer organic, unrefined in all my homemade recipes! (although it's a bummer that Trader Joe's doesn't carry organic yet!)

      Delete
  3. Maybe I shook too much? but the whole bottle is foam.. In retrospect, shaking soap and water together would likely have that result hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it two tablespoons or two teaspoons of baking soda?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure she meant tablespoons, T. is the standard abbreviation for tablespoons :)

      Delete
  5. When applying this shampoo how much should you use at a time? (This recipe was very helpful btw! I couldn't quite switch straight to no-poo, I need the suds!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When using this shampoo so you still use conditioner?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My local wal-mart carries organic coconut oil. Love Trader Joes but have to go to Wally World if I need the organic oil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would advise using much less Dr Bronners in the recipe....maybe just around a tablespoon! It is extremely concentrated and have noticed when I use too much it leaves a residue in my hair. I pretty much just use the foam it creates and run that through my scalp only and allow the soap to run through the strands. Since using (correctly), my itchy scalp and dandruff have ceased and my hair looks so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you use this exact recipe set aside from decreasing the Dr Bronners? I have recently started using just plain old baking soda and water in my hair with some added mint extract. Has been working great but I'd like to enhance it so to speak with some more sudsing (castile soap). How much coconut milk would you use? As April stated, you can buy organic coconut milk at your local Walmart. That's what I'd do seeing as how mine carries it as well! Just wondering how much I'd use in the mixture. Thanks :).

      Cole

      Delete
    2. Meant coconut oil in reply not coconut milk was a misread. Can you substitute grapeseed oil for coconut oil?

      Cole

      Delete
  9. Hi guys,

    I have a body odor problem and have found baking soda does the trick for helping me with my body odor. I was wondering instead of using this as a shampoo can I use it as a body wash and what is the maximum amount of baking soda I can add to this????

    and by the way is the coconut oil a must???

    thank you for tips

    ReplyDelete