Thursday, June 14, 2012

All Purpose Kitchen & Beyond Cleaner

This is one of my favorite DIY projects for everyday use around the house. It has transformed the way I clean and makes me feel so good when I wipe down the countertops. I'll admit it, I'm not the best about cleaning. Okay, so I'm actually not at all that good at regular household maintenance, but using my own products adds a certain pride that makes finishing up the kitchen after (ahem) 3 loads of hand-washed dishes seem a bit sunnier.

Plus there are good reasons to make your own cleaners! All natural, vinegar-based with the power of citrus oils and naturally antibacterial means it's safe for your pets, children and your food. I never worry if a spray goes awry and a tiny bit lands on my fresh strawberries. And you can customize the scent, which is super fun.

the players
All Purpose Kitchen & Beyond Cleaner
adapted from Big Box Detox and Just Like My Nan Made 

1 tsp. baking soda
~1/3 c. citrus infused vinegar*
1 tsp. vegetable-based dish soap (I like Dr. Brommer's castile soap)
2-4 c. water, depending on the size of your spray bottle
several drops of essential oils (optional: I like tea tree, eucalyptus, lemon, sweet orange, grapefruit or lavender)

*There are countless methods out there, see my Pinterest page for recipes- and for the record, I haven't yet in 4 months drained my vinegar, I just keep adding vinegar to the jar after taking out what I need for a recipe. I also use a variety of lemons, oranges and grapefruit.

To the spray bottle add your baking soda, dish soap and 2 c. of the water and give it a good shake. Slowly add the vinegar, no big deal if you lose some due to erupting baking soda volcano reactions. Fill the rest of the way up with more water and add a few drops of essential oils if you like. That's it!

I keep this out by the sink, with a small rag for cleaning off the countertops. Change out the rag every few days, and feel good knowing you are cleaning your house with something marvelously green!

2 comments:

  1. This is so neat! I just saw my mom using some the other day and when I was down your neck of the wood, I saw your batch. I want to be part of the green clean club! Go'na start my own here so thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best work you have done, this online website is cool with great facts and looks. I have stopped at this blog after viewing the excellent content. I will be back for more qualitative work. Fliserens

    ReplyDelete